Author Topic: Learning how to tune  (Read 1062 times)

Mr EazyWidder

• Amateur racer
  • Pro Racer
    • View Profile
Learning how to tune
« on: June 27, 2015, 12:42:12 AM »
I've been getting back into the swing of things with forza but never was I a good tuner, but thanks to a few good ppl on here it's been making more sense to me. It's a lot more complicated then I thought. Come to find out I was way off with how I was tuning...I've been reading a lot of posts from donuts..and I've been talking to guys and getting feedback...hopefully things start to look up.

ERT EVERCOOL56

• Grandpappy
  • Administrator
  • Hall Of Famer
  • co founder of Evercool Racing Team
    • View Profile
Re: Learning how to tune
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 09:03:01 AM »
lol,  it can be daunting for sure!

I am not much of a tuner either, I have got lucky a few times, but really if not for these guys in our core group, I would be clueless!
I have leaned a lot from them and have realized what settings that work for me that seem to work on 75% of cars... other settings require some tweeking now and then...

I believe at some point finding settings that work for you  is the main goal.. some like loose set ups, others like a more solid and stable feel to handling...all personal taste.

I had a friend I meet in F3 (leadfoot)who claimed he drove ALL his cars bone stock... I found it hard to believe as he was in top percent!

but it could be...  Steph and I had a friendly rival going on with this month's p2p challenge where as I selected a set up from a friend(Flying Finn) who like really loose feel on his cars...took me some time, but I adapted to the set up and did ok for an older driver! lol..
so who's to say a driver could not do same with stock ?  theoretically speaking of coarse.lol

developing skills are key I would think, if a driver has experience and great skills he will do well with adapting and/or developing a set up that works for them...   I know as I became better at driving ,my set ups evolved with me, and set ups I bought early on I thought were crap are now my best ! lol

I remember very early in F4 I was searching for a good tuner to help Rosie with a tune for an upcoming event hosted by PAE club(several of our members were in that club)...I ran across a guy on forza forums who had a great rep as being one of game's best tuners, so I made contact expecting him to brush me off as a nube..  but he didn't and he developed a set for us..  cost me 1 mil!  (I think inflated price was meant to discourage me on down the road really) ha! anyway set up was fast as hell and needed bricks in trunk to keep on track! lol!
with only a day to go before meet, Rosie was not able to adapt to set up and we used another set up for meet...  I still have set up and is still one of the best in my stash!  just took us getting better skills to USE his tune!

oh, by the way, that tuner guy became my personal tuner for a year or so, and is one of my best friends in game and club! I don't know how he put up with my nube questions and unrelenting request for set ups for nearly every race for a while! lol
but more importantly, the guy took time to explain what he was doing and the outcome adjustments would make...  he has helped many of us learn the basics of set ups... and although a little grumpy at times, he is kindly thought of around here and by most of the old timers in forza community! 

another thought to consider when learning set ups would be the purpose for the set up...  leader board runs vs. lobby races.

idealistically a LB set up is fast and less restricted in the settings so as to make as fast of a track time as possible running entire track space where as an ideal lobby set up has a bit less speed and is handling orientated to be used in door to door racing with others on track.  you need to be able to react and keep car on track in traffic with race lines far from ideal at any given point on track..  thus loose set ups not really suited for that close racing.  there are some who still brings LB  set ups into lobbies...a few are able to handle these loose cars in traffic, but they have developed skills they can rely on over the years!

but by far the best approach is learning control ... if a driver has no control skills they are not going to do well with any set up good ,fast or bad! lol

hope some of my rant helps in a small way to further your understanding of tuning..lol!
I'm sure some our tune gurus will come along and blow my thoughts out of the water..
  but that is cool as well all have our preferences,  take a look at store fronts! many  tunes , most are different in feel but some drivers do well with one and next driver does not.. all comes down to what works for you and your skill set at the time you are running them..   and that changes over time as you get better!

I expect my buddy Reaper to chime in and crush my thoughts like a dixie cup under foot any time lol!
oh ,and by the way , Reaper was that guy who did the 1 mil set up for me back in the day!
thanks to him and all core group for the help you guys have offered over the years... ;0

race on...there IS no finish line...

Mr EazyWidder

• Amateur racer
  • Pro Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 10:53:43 AM »
Thanks for the pep talk EC..all I really been doing for the last day or two has been reading up on tuning and taking a lot of notes. I have a civic I've been messing with....so far so good lol

Mr EazyWidder

• Amateur racer
  • Pro Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 09:32:08 AM »
the basics of tuning in forza  are simple take all real world knowledge and toss it .. does not apply here .

as ec has stated you must have a balance between driving a car and tuning it. you can have the #1 lb drivers tune but if you do not have the base line skills to control it as they did its a worthless tune.

here are some of the things i have done to get better at both driving and tuning :

driving take a bone stock c or b class car with mild hp and weight, pick a track and use what ever assists you deem necessary (never let anyone tell you that if you run tcs or abs you cant be fast ....)
 run 5 laps and record your best time on paper, do it again the next day and see if you improved , do this for 2 weeks and you will start to see the quirks the car has.. oh it hates turning under power or it refuses to stop from high speeds.

on the 3rd week using this same car and add only 2 parts :
1 spec better tire compound, and brakes and try the listed above again

tuning: here is where it gets super tricky due to forza's whacked out physics. every driver is different everyone runs different controller layouts with different dead zones on triggers and thumb sticks.
there are several ways to tune in forza here are a few that i know of :

using the forza forums tuning guides
using math calculations from tuning guides
take a store front tune go into tweak it and remove it so you can see what parts are used
then there is the way i learned trial and error and millions of laps in test drive

only work on 1 car at a time , learn what it does with just parts on default settings . work on 1 end of the car at a time and be sure to keep back up versions of tunes either on paper or in game with some kind of labeling system just in the event you change something and it makes the car worse.

I've been going about it the mathematical way, is that a good way to go about it?

Mr EazyWidder

• Amateur racer
  • Pro Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 12:09:17 PM »
doing the math is ok if your looking for a very rough starter tune. the only way to get to a decent tune is to drive it and tweak as you go . no math will ever give you a final tune that suits your driving style

Ok I get that, but is it good for balancing the car before I tweak it?

Mr EazyWidder

• Amateur racer
  • Pro Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 03:12:37 PM »
So are you saying it's based off of feel?

Mr EazyWidder

• Amateur racer
  • Pro Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 02:27:06 PM »
Oh ok..that's a nice and simple way to put it..so I can use the math to balance the car and then tune as I go

Mr EazyWidder

• Amateur racer
  • Pro Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 09:37:44 PM »
How do I go about tuning camber, toe, diff???? Can anybody help

stephlefan6

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 11:54:04 PM »
toe always 0 for me. i do math for suspension lol

Mr EazyWidder